Jat protests: 50,000 tractors ready to enter Delhi, says leader Yashpal Malik | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Jat protests: 50,000 tractors ready to enter Delhi, says leader Yashpal Malik

delhi Updated: Mar 19, 2017 17:30 IST
A Mariyam Alavi
Jat protest

Jats are demanding reservation in government jobs under the OBC quota. (Sonu Mehta/HT Photo)

If talks with the Central government on Monday fail, over 50,000 tractors carrying Jat protesters will enter Delhi, community leader and president of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti (AIJASS) Yashpal Malik warned on Sunday.

Malik said the tractors are waiting at Delhi borders.

Malik told HT that the leaders spearheading the stir were invited to meet representatives of the Central government on Monday. He said the protesters will not cause any inconvenience to the common people “so long as the government agrees to their demands”.

Read: No Delhi Metro trains in NCR from Sunday night because of Jat protests

“We are coming to Delhi on Monday on the invitation of the Central government, to discuss our demands. We will meet the officials in the morning. It will be peaceful until after our talks. We will know by 3 or 4 pm if they are willing to accept our demands or not. If they do not, then we have more than 50,000 tractors waiting to enter Delhi,” he said.

Jats have been demanding quota in government jobs and education.

As many as 30 people were killed and property worth crores of rupees were damaged at many places in Haryana during last year’s Jat stir which had turned violent. Rohtak and some of its neighbouring districts, including Sonipat and Jhajjar, were the worst hit by the violence last year.

This time, Jats are also demanding jobs for the next of kin of those killed in violence last year, compensation to those injured, withdrawal of cases and action against officers who ordered use of force against the protesters.

The Delhi Police have made elaborate arrangements to ensure there is no loss of life or property. Over 35,000 policemen and personnel drawn from the para military forces will keep vigil in the city. All permissions for protests have been cancelled and prohibitory orders under CrPC 144 have been issued.

Read: Police release traffic advisory ahead of Jat protests, Lutyens’ Delhi restricted

The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has announced that all its train services to and from outside Delhi stations will remain suspended from 11:30 pm on Sunday.

The Delhi police have also fortified its presence in the national capital. The city’s main roads and borders have been barricaded. Trucks entering the city from the eastern borders have been stopped. Senior officials of the Delhi Police held a meeting on Sunday, and have asked all DCPs and station house officers to be on alert.