A 50-year-old Indian freelance journalist was arrested on charges of being part of an “international conspiracy hatched beyond national borders” to target an Israeli embassy official in a car-bomb attack in central Delhi last month.
Syed Mohammad Ahmed Kazmi, who used to report for an Iran-based news service and volunteer as a coach for an English language programme at the India Islamic Cultural Centre, was arrested near his residence in south Delhi’s BK Dutt Colony on Tuesday, the police said.
An unidentified biker had placed a ‘sticky bomb’ on an Israeli embassy Toyota Innova car on Aurangzeb Road on February 13, injuring the official and the driver who were in the vehicle."Kazmi provided logistical support to the plot, conducted a reconnaissance of the Israeli embassy on Aurangzeb Road where the car was attacked and harboured the perpetrators," claimed a police officer.
Officers from a special team claimed they moved in on Kazmi on the basis of “clinching evidence” linking him to the terror bid. This includes “a substantial number of calls” he made to Syria and Iran, an officer said.
Kazmi’s wife Jahan Ara vehemently denied his involvement in the attack. “God is with us. My husband hasn’t done anything wrong,” she told HT before being advised by lawyers not to speak to the media.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said,“Investigations are under way and one person has been arrested. It is our understanding that no conclusion can be drawn as yet.”