Just hours after noisy celebrations in the Supreme Court, the five 2G scam-accused started preparing for their exit from Tihar jail.
The executives, who spent seven months in 15ft by10ft cells in sub-jail 3, donated their television sets to other inmates, shook hands with a few jail officials and thanked the sub-jail superintendent.
The five then made a quiet exit from Tihar gate number 4 around 8pm. A jail source said, they "were visibly ecstatic".
"We want to celebrate…. The fact that they have got bail shows that there light at the end of the tunnel and there is justice for everybody in this country," said a close acquaintance of Sanjay Chandra, MD, Unitech Limited.
The celebrations had begun earlier in the day when the SC granted bail to the five executives. In fact, when the families of the accused jumped out of the chairs in excitement on hearing the verdict, judge OP Saini had to throw them out of the court for creating ruckus.
"Except accused and lawyers, all others move out of the court. You are disturbing the court proceedings. It is enough. You have ignored repeated warnings not to cause a commotion," the judge said.
The celebrations interrupted the cross-examination of HDFC Bank's Mumbai-based assistant VP Uday Shahasrabudde.
Other accused in the case, former telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi, were also seen congratulating those who got bail.
2G trial not to be shifted to Tihar jail
The Delhi HC on Wednesday withdrew its order to shift the trial from the Patiala House courts to the high security Tihar jail. The order, issued on Tuesday was revoked following protests from defence lawyers who said it would inconvenience them. The lawyers said they were assured that hearing will continue at the Patiala House courts till a more spacious and safe courtroom is found.