Kalmadi promises successful 2010 Commonwealth Games | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Kalmadi promises successful 2010 Commonwealth Games

delhi Updated: Sep 16, 2009 16:57 IST
PTI
2010 Commonwealth Games

Under attack for the tardy preparations for 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, Indian Olympic Association chief Suresh Kalmadi on Wednesday sought to dispel all doubts by promising to stage a successful Games as the central government was backing the Organising Committee to the hilt.

Addressing a press conference in the backdrop of Commonwealth Games Federation Michael Fennell's warning of a "partial failure" to the Games, Kalmadi said all the stakeholders, including foreign consultants, were working in tandem.

"The Government of India, I must say, is backing the Organising Committee to the hilt. The Sports Minister, the Delhi Chief Minister and the Governor and my colleagues are working as a team to deliver a great Games," he said.

"All of us are working at a great pace. We also have experienced technical people who have expertise of hosting Afro-Asian Games, Badminton World Champions and several National Games.

"On the advice of the Commonwealth Games Federation we had also hired foreign consultants so that we do not slip up. I think we have 30-40 of them. So all of us are working together to stage one of the most successful Games," said Kalmadi, also CWG Organising Committee chairman.

He also pointed out that CGF chief Fennell had earlier this month said that "overall the preparations are under control" and the OC would take the 'wake up calls' constructively.

"Mr Fennell is an able administrator. He had said on September in the Wall Street Journal that 'there is never satisfaction till the finishing work is done. Overall they are under control'," Kalmadi said

Kalmadi said the OC have decided to "cut down the frills" and some events in the run up to the Games would be cancelled.

"We have cancelled the AR Rehman show to be held next month at the India Gate to mark the 'one year to go event' as well as the cultural programme at the Trafalgar Square after the Queens Baton Relay handing over ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on October 29. We are also going to travel by economy class," he said.

IOA General Secretary Randhir Singh said the "wake up call" from the CGF was well accepted by the OC.

"There is no way we are taking the criticism in a wrong way. The wake up calls by CGF are well accepted," said Randhir, who is also the CWG OC vice-chairman.

"2010 CWG is not a one-off Games. We have to present well our sporting excellence to the outside world. We are hoping to host Asian and Olympic Games. So we have to ensure a successful Games," he added.