Karol Bagh heist mystery: Servant hangs self over ‘personal problems’

  • Prawesh Lama, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Jan 19, 2016 13:21 IST
Tarun Ghosal was found hanging in the workshop of Vivekanand Pore 11 days after Vivekanand Pore’s house in Karol Bagh was robbed (Representative photo)

Police are yet to make headway in the Rs 10 lakh-worth gold heist from a Delhi jeweller’s house on January 1, but the suicide of one of the workers at the jeweller’s workshop has led to plenty of speculation.

Tarun Ghosal was found hanging in the workshop of Vivekanand Pore 11 days after Pore’s house was robbed. Having been employed by Pore for more than 14 years, Ghosal was considered a very loyal and trusted employee.

However, the armed robbery that held the Pore family hostage for up to half an hour at their second floor flat in Karol Bagh made Ghosal a possible suspect as he was aware of the jewellery kept at home.

His death has led to speculation that either Ghosal was the inside man on the job or was being harassed as a suspect.

DCP (Central) Parmaditya said that the suicide is a separate incident and should be dealt with accordingly. “He was not called to the police station. Do not link this case to the robbery. He was not working directly under the victim. His death was a result of matrimonial dispute,” he said.

Neighbours however claim that the 45-year-old was questioned by the authorities.

“Police suspected that he knew about the jewellery in the house. Tarun and the other workers were quizzed many times. It is possible he may have committed suicide because of the harassment,” said one neighbour.

Pore also refuted the claims of Ghosal’s suicide being linked to the robbery or that he was a suspect as he knew the family. Ghosal, who hailed from Hooghly, had in fact began working for Pore even before Pore was married 13 years ago. Three of Ghosal’s brothers were also employed at the gold workshop, but later discontinued after their respective weddings.

“He could not have been involved in the robbery. Everyone was questioned and it was a routine procedure,” Pore said adding that he believes Tarun committed suicide because of some “personal family problems”.

Pore’s wife Nivedita told police that the robbers barged into the house around 7.30pm and held the family hostage for about half an hour before decamping with the gold.

An FIR has been registered so far. A CCTV camera installed near the shop recorded the robbers in the area but a positive ID is yet to be announced.

also read

Air India plane makes emergency landing in Delhi after suffering a tyre burst
Show comments