A Delhi court on Tuesday denied bail to Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, noting that the prima facie evidence showed that the journalist had played a role in the February 13 bomb attack on an Israeli diplomat's car.
"Suffice is to say at this stage that on the basis of call detail records of the mobile phone recovered from the applicant and the statement of witnesses, it is clearly apparent that the basis of allegations against Kazmi of conspiring with the actual assailants are there, which prima facie show that he had a role to play in this terror strike," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav said.
He also held that "the investigation is still in progress and during investigation the material collected so far discloses at this stage that Kazmi was in touch with some of the terrorists who had planned the strike in three countries."
The magistrate noted that "it is apparent that Kazmi was in touch with the assailants and received money in connection with the conspiracy as well, for which the Enforcement Directorate has already issued notice to him and his wife".
"Further, the vehicle stated to be used by the assailants for a recce of the Israeli Embassy was recovered from Kazmi’s residence," said the magistrate.
The court also held that as per the provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, the investigating agency is entitled to probe the matter even up to 180 days from the day of Kazmi's arrest.
The court did not mention the evidence in the order, considering the Delhi Police plea that doing so could hamper the ongoing probe.
The magistrate also observed that Kazmi played a nodal role in connecting the other terrorists who launched similar attacks other countries.
Kazmi's counsel Gajinder Kumar had argued that the investigating agency had not sought his further police remand which showed that he has already disclosed whatever information he had.