Journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, an accused in the Israeli diplomat’s car bombing case, opposed the order of a magisterial court granting three more months to the Delhi Police to complete the ongoing probe into the incident.
Additional Sessions Judge Surinder S Rathi was told by Kazmi’s counsel Mehmood Pracha that the grant of extension of 90 days for further probe was allowed without hearing him and it was a mala fide order. The counsel said that Kazmi had already spent 90 days in the custody till June 3, but the court went on to extend his judicial remand by another 20 days even before the police moved an application in this regard.
“Before even deciding the application for extension of probe period, the custody was already extended by 20 days even as by June 3, the accused (Kazmi) would have already spent 90 days in custody,” he said.
Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan submitted that the application was considered by the judge in camera as it had names of the witnesses and other information, which could not be made public.
The judge has directed the investigating officer in the case to appear before it in person on June 8 with the case diaries.
“Let us first see what you (Special Cell) have done in the last 90 days,” the judge remarked.