The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on Wednesday ordered a vigilance enquiry into the Chandni Mahal building collapse.
It is, however, yet to complete its enquiry into the Lalita Park mishap, which occurred on November 15 last year. The civic body had then suspended four officials, after conducting a preliminary investigation. A year later, however, three of them have been reinstated.
According to sources in the vigilance department, fourth and the last accused may also be reinstated soon as these officials were suspended in haste and three of them were never posted in the ward where the incident took place at any point of time.
Sources in the MCD have said that the corporation had taken the hasty step under intense media and political pressure in suspending officials.
Meanwhile, almost a year after the building collapse in Lalita Park, the site has become a dumping ground. A visit to the area reveals that everything from garbage from nearby houses to debris from road and house construction ends up here.
''We just want the MCD to cover this site. They can at least build four walls around the plot so that people don’t throw garbage around,'' said Adil, who lives in the building right next to the one that collapsed on November 15 last year.
According to the residents, the area has changed quite a bit in the last one year. ''After 7 pm, the area becomes deserted. Not many people live here anymore,'' Adil added. ''People are more careful. We never want to see another horrific incident like that. All factories in the vicinity have shut down,'' said Kirpal Singh, 70, another resident.