Land dispute puts Gokulpuri under siege-like situation | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Land dispute puts Gokulpuri under siege-like situation

delhi Updated: Aug 09, 2010 00:19 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A fight over a land area caused a siege-like situation in northeast Delhi's Gokulpuri region on Sunday morning. Scores of Delhi Police personnel had to be deployed to bring the law and order under control there.

The incident took place in Ganga Vihar at around 11 a.m. after which eight persons, including Rashtravadi Shiv Sena chief Jai Bhagwan Goyal, were detained.

According to the police, the detained persons were allegedly trying to demolish a boundary wall around the land and wanted to build a temple there.

The police said that Goyal, along with around 50-60 of his supporters forcibly entered the land in dispute and got into a scuffle with local residents over it. The land-owner, in 2008, "won a legal battle to get a boundary wall built around his property. It is a 3,500 square yard plot. Goyal and his men tried to break the wall. The whole thing got out of hand, as almost the entire area got into the fight," said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

According to the police, before the boundary wall, Ramlila celebrations used to take place on the land. Goyal allegedly wanted the plot to be kept open for community needs. However, the land-owner, with the help of the court order put stop to it all and was able to build the wall.

The police said that Goyal and his men wanted to conduct jalabhishek. Goyal's associates allegedly damaged the plot caretaker's vehicle, too. Goyal, however, could not be contacted after repeated attempts.

When the fight broke out, the police were immediately called. However, they were outnumbered. "People pelted stones at the police. They set fires and vandalised as many as eight cars. Reserve police was immediately sent to the spot. The police had to resort to lathi charge," the officer said.

Even after reinforcements were called, it took over three hours to bring the situation under control.

The police have registered a case of rioting and trespass. Further investigations are on.