A low-floor bus of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) caught fire around 7.15 pm on Monday near Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
Around 80 passengers were trapped inside as the bus’ automatic doors jammed. However, all of them managed to get out in time by breaking down the windows. Three passengers received minor injuries.
Police said the fire started in the CNG kit, filling up the bus with smoke.
This was the first instance of a fire in a low-floor bus ever since the fleet was inducted in September 2007.
“A child alerted everyone about smoke in the cabin. Passengers panicked. Suddenly, there was fire in the cabin and the driver slammed the brakes. Passengers had to break down the windowpanes to get out as the doors had jammed,” said Surender Kumar, bus conductor.
“A passenger who was carrying a briefcase smashed the windowpanes and many jumped out of the bus to save their lives,” said Kumar.
Eyewitnesses said that the driver abandoned the bus and fled the scene.
“We have sent a team to the spot to examine the bus. It apparently happened due to a short circuit,” said RK Verma, Chairman, DTC.