Man hit on BRT, by a bus not supposed to be there | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man hit on BRT, by a bus not supposed to be there

delhi Updated: May 11, 2008 03:14 IST
Highlight Story

A 30-year-old man was knocked down and seriously injured by a Blueline bus on the BRT corridor late on Friday evening.

The Blueline was not supposed to be there. These rogue buses that killed 120 people — one every three days — last year, are banned from getting on to the BRT corridor. This particular bus, number 525, had deviated from its designated route to pick up more passengers, police and transport officials said.

But neither was the victim — Hemant Kumar of Bengal — supposed to be at the place where he was hit. He had jumped over the iron railings of the high-speed bus lane, and run on to the path of the Blueline, said an officer.

Kumar is at the AIIMS Trauma Centre ICU, where doctors on Saturday evening said he was critical.

This was the fourth accident on the BRT stretch since April, and the second involving a pedestrian. It underscored, again, the unforgivable absence of pedestrian facilities on the ill-planned corridor.

Following repeated reports in the Hindustan Times and other media, the government has now planned to experiment with a different model for the stretch of the corridor beyond Moolchand, shifting bus lanes to the sides.

<