Man slits fiancee's throat, arrested | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man slits fiancee's throat, arrested

delhi Updated: Feb 18, 2011 23:53 IST
Sanjeev K Ahuja

A 29-year-old man, working as a manager with Emaar in Dubai, slit the throat of his estranged girlfriend at the DLF City Centre Mall on Friday after she allegedly refused to speak to him.

Varun Malhotra reportedly flew in from Dubai in the morning and bought a kitchen knife from a nearby market and went to the mall on MG Road to meet Neha Verma (name changed), an executive with DLF.

Following an altercation, the accused attacked the girl with the knife. Onlookers and security guards overpowered the man and handed him over to the police.

Verma, a resident of Uttam Nagar in Delhi, was rushed to nearby Private Hospital.

She suffered an inch deep wound in her neck and minor cuts on her palms and chin.

"Verma was operated upon and is out of danger. She is stable. Luckily, the vocal cord and windpipe escaped the knife attack," said Dr Garima Mehra.

The Sector 29 police have booked Malhotra on charges of attempt to murder under Section 307 of the IPC.

Malhotra said, "Despite repeated requests, she refused to listen to me. I had come all the way from Dubai just for her."

He claimed that he and Verma were in a relationship for the last three years while they worked together at DT Cinemas.

"Last August, both our families agreed to get us married but she had been avoiding me for the last few months. She would not respond to my phone calls. I recently learnt that she had got engaged to somebody else," he added.

Malhotra had returned to around 7 am in a Jet Airlines flight. "Till about 1 pm, he slept at his parent's house in Sushant Lok. His father (65) works with a private construction company. The accused tried to call Verma but she disconnected his call. He then went to Beopar Kendra market in Sushant Lok and bought a kitchen knife worth R60. He then took a rickshaw to reach DLF City Center Mall," said Jagdish Parsad, SHO, Sector 29 police station.

Malhotra reached the DLF office and requested manager

Saurabh Kumar to persuade Verma to talk to him. "She came out but refused to talk about our relationship. At this, I got angry and attacked her with the knife," the accused added.

He worked with PVR Cinemas between 2001 and 2005 and then moved to DT Cinemas till 2010 before he joined Emaar in Dubai.