Man who secured Sharma’s conviction removed | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man who secured Sharma’s conviction removed

delhi Updated: Feb 18, 2009 13:54 IST
Harish V Nair
Harish V Nair
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Special Public prosecutor S.K. Saxena, who had secured the conviction of IPS officer RK Sharma in the Shivani Bhatnagar murder case, will no longer appear for the prosecution in Delhi High Court hearing appeals by the convicts.

Bhatnagar, a journalist, was murdered at her east Delhi flat on January 23, 1999.

“Lt Governor issued a notification removing Saxena from the case and has been replaced by another prosecutor,” sources said.

A court in Karkardooma had last March 24 sentenced Sharma and three of his accomplices to life imprisonment. In his appeal, Sharma said there were several missing links in the chain of circumstantial evidence claimed by the police.

Meanwhile, the prosecution has accused Sharma of forging medical documents in his bid to procure bail.

The police has submitted in court a medical report of G.B. Pant hospital in which a doctor denied giving a prescription to Sharma or issuing any OPD card to him on the dates mentioned. Sharma had sought bail on medical grounds from the high court.

Saxena had secured the conviction of 10 policemen in the CP shootout case and of Dawood-aide Romesh Sharma in the Kunjum Budhiraha murder case. The conviction of Sharma had been a huge morale-booster for Saxena, after he drew flak from many quarters for his handling of the Jessica Lall case.