Maoist ‘NGO man’ caught | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Maoist ‘NGO man’ caught

delhi Updated: Jun 19, 2010 00:14 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The special cell of the Delhi Police arrested an alleged member of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) on Friday. He was living with his second wife in government quarters allotted to her in south Delhi.

According to the police, he was an associate of Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy and was on Surat Police’s wanted list.

The accused, identified as 42-year-old Abdul Shakeel Pasha alias Sanjay, joined the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) after coming to the Capital in 2004. Pasha was running an NGO Haq that he started here in 2009.

According to the police, until 2004, Pasha, a post-graduate in commerce from Mumbai, was associated with the People’s War Group — an underground Naxal group. In Delhi, he was involved in policy making of the Maoist party.

The police said Pasha travelled extensively to meet top Maoist leaders and formulate future policies.

The police said his wife did not know about his Maoist links.

“He married a postal department employee and was living in a government flat allotted to his wife. He was working for beggars and homeless people in Sadar Bazaar, Okhla, Connaught Place, India Gate, Azadpur and Kashmere Gate. He helped procure ration cards for these people,” said a senior police officer.

“He is an ‘intellectual’ member of the group and was involved in making policy decisions. He met several Maoist leaders including Kobad Ghandy in Surat. He had recruited many people there,” said the officer.

The police said their Surat counterparts had arrested an important Maoist leader, identified as Sriniwas, in 2007. Pasha was in close contact with him.

“After Sriniwas’s arrest, Pasha went underground. He was on the Surat Police’s wanted list. We arrested him on the basis of information provided by them,” said the officer.

Pasha was produced in Tis Hazari courts on Friday and sent to police custody.