The MCD will have to soon resume its sealing and demolition drive on unauthorised residential and commercial properties in the city, as the moratorium that provided immunity to such structures ended on December 31 last year.
On Tuesday, the monitoring committee, appointed by Supreme Court, which oversees the matter held a high-level meeting with senior officials of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to discuss the next plan of action.
"The committee has told us to arrange adequate police force so that action is not delayed. We are caught in a limbo, as the (union urban development) ministry has not communicated anything about extending the Act. On the other hand, not taking action results in contempt of court," the official said.
After the ministry failed to extend the Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2009, in the Parliament's winter session, thousands of properties in urbanised villages, commercial properties in unauthorised colonies, and shops and commercial establishments in residential areas are now liable for sealing or demolition.
According to sources, the monitoring committee has directed the MCD to issue sealing notices to such establishments.
"The MCD should have taken action much earlier considering the moratorium lapsed on December 31. The meeting was held to discuss what action they plan to take in the coming days," said a member of the monitoring committee, who did not wish to be named.
Sources said that deputy commissioners of MCD's 12 zones have been asked to prepare a list of all such properties. Sources further said that a special task force will be constituted for the demolition or sealing process.
According to sources, instead of a bill to extend the moratorium, the urban development ministry has mulled over a policy to regularise all unauthorised residential and commercial structures that came up before February 2006.
Unauthorised buildings that came up after that date do not have any immunity.