MHA-appointed officer to probe allegations of police lapses | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

MHA-appointed officer to probe allegations of police lapses

delhi Updated: Jan 09, 2013 01:04 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Union home ministry (MHA) on Tuesday said an inquiry officer would probe allegations of excruciatingly slow response by the police control room (PCR) vans and Safdarjung hospital staff in the December 16 gang rape incident and submit a report in seven days.

A 23-year-old paramedic student was brutally raped and assaulted by five men and a juvenile in a moving bus on the night of December 16 in Delhi. She later died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.

At the time of incident, she was with her male friend who was beaten up by the rapists. Both the victims were later dumped on the roadside and left to die.

The victim's friend later claimed the police were slow to respond to the incident. The PCR van personnel were allegedly arguing over the jurisdiction of the spot where the couple lay helpless. He also claimed that the police took them to a government hospital, where the reaction was also very slow.

The Delhi police have denied the allegations.

The probe will be headed by joint secretary (police modernisation) Veena Kumari Meena. The home ministry said she would complete the probe in seven days after ascertaining the facts and fixing accountability for any lapses.

The terms of reference of the probe will include how much time the PCR vans took to reach the spot, whether they delayed taking action after reaching the spot discussing the jurisdiction issue or any such other issue. It would also be enquired whether the PCR policemen took all necessary action as warranted.

The probe will also cover how the bus in question continued to ply on the roads of Delhi even after being fined several times by the Delhi traffic police.

The inquiry officer will see why the registration of the bus was not cancelled and the vehicle confiscated.

Besides, the non-responsiveness of 'Dial 100' helpline of the police will also be looked into.