In the wake of a huge public outcry, the five-year-old rape victim undergoing treatment at an east Delhi hospital was shifted to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on Friday evening.
The girl was admitted to the paediatric surgery department of AIIMS. She will be treated by a multi-specialty team of doctors drawn from the paediatric surgery, paediatric medicine and gynaecology departments.
“The girl appears to be stable, but we will get to know about the real position only after a detailed examination. We have started the tests,” said AIIMS spokesperson Dr YK Gupta.
Doctors at the East Delhi Municipal Corporation-run Swami Dayanand Hospital, where the girl was admitted on early Wednesday morning, had taken out three candles and a 200ml cracked hair oil plastic bottle from inside her in an hour-long surgery on Thursday.
The objects were possibly shoved up her vagina by the accused and had caused infection inside her abdomen.
“She was brought in a critical state. I haven’t seen such brutality at such age in my medical career of 20 years. We have performed the life-saving surgery; she is out of danger and should make a full recovery,” said Dr RN Bansal, medical superintendent at the hospital.
“She may require a minor surgery later on to repair her anal canal that was torn because of the bottle,” said Dr Bansal.
When brought to the hospital, the girl was in great pain. “She was delirious, in a semi-conscious state and traumatised. She cried in pain when we attempted to examine her private parts and was horrified, clearly reflecting how affected she was mentally,” said a junior doctor, requesting anonymity.
She had bruises on her vagina and chest and bite marks on her lips and cheeks. “Her lips were swollen to nearly twice the size and she had blade cut marks and bruises on her neck as if someone had tried to strangulate her,” said the doctor.
Even after she was given strong antibiotics when the fever recurred, puss oozed out of her private parts, the doctors said.
“She had severe abdominal infection but the cause wasn’t obvious externally. We had to use general anaesthesia,” said Dr Bansal.