Mobile towers near school buildings and hospitals are likely to be sealed from next week keeping in mind the ill affects on children and patients, the south Corporation has ordered.
At a standing committee meeting held on Tuesday, chairman Rajesh Gehlot ordered the deputy commissioners of the four zones under its jurisdiction to initiate the action. The deputy commissioner of central Delhi, Krishan Kumar, said sealing notices had already been sent to the mobile companies.
"There is a court stay on mobile towers set up in commercial areas before 2010 but those near schools and hospitals can be sealed even now as they are illegal. We do not want patients and children to face harmful radiation," said Gehlot.
He said the number of towers on the sealing list will be submitted by the end of this week and action will start next week. The drive may, however, have to be postponed if police force is not available.
The east Delhi has also ordered the sealing of 250 illegal towers under its jurisdiction. According to an official, in 2010, when the court stay was imposed, there were about 1000 legal towers and 700 illegal towers in the area but in the past two years 250 more towers have come up.
The north Corporation has ordered a survey of illegal towers under its jurisdiction so that they can be sealed. The civic agency will also begin its drive by sealing towers near schools and hospitals.
As per the report of the then commissioner of the erstwhile MCD, there were 5,364 mobile towers in its area on April 2010. Out of these, 2,412 mobile towers were authorised and 2,952 were unauthorised. In the last two years, many more towers have illegally cropped up all over the city.