NIA likely to register a case against Army Major | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

NIA likely to register a case against Army Major

delhi Updated: Jun 08, 2010 21:29 IST

An Anrmy major, under scanner of central security agencies over leak of information from his computer, is likely to be booked by the NIA soon.

Official sources said the probe till now clearly establishes the violation of stringent Official Secrets Act (OSA) as the Major had over 2,500 defence presentations on his personal computer much beyond his sphere of work. "The NIA is likely to register a case soon," sources said.

Asked if a case under OSA could be pressed against the Major, they said, "Violation of OSA is clearly there. As and when investigations are completed, more cases including espionage could also be registered."

The computer is currently with the Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL) in Hyderabad. The major, posted in Andaman and Nicobar Island, came under the scanner after it was found that his personal computer was transmitting information to Pakistani intelligence agency.

The tip-off on the information leak from the Major's computer came from US intelligence agencies in April during their probe into the links of arrested terrorist and Mumbai terror attack planner David Coleman Headley. While initially the Army had claimed that it was just a case of "hacking", the investigators including the NIA are now probing it from all angles including espionage involving more officers.

"Earlier, the Major said he was only a keen person and had kept some files beyond his sphere of work. But forensic report of the seized computer clearly shows that there were over 2,500 presentations, some of which were secret and even top secret," sources said adding, "The files were way beyond his sphere of work."

Sources said the information that the Major possessed were only privy to officers of Brigadier and above involved in operational matters. They said the Military Intelligence is trying to find who all could have given him the files as it was impossible for a Major rank officer to have access to all the files.

Sources, however, clarified that the files could have been handed over to the Major in good faith also. The case first came to light early last month and the Major after initial questioning was sent back. But after the forensic report came out, he was called back to the national capital and is being questioned again. The forensic report also mentions that some files were deleted from the computer on a particular date after it was seized by authorities.