Nigerian caught in body-in-bag case | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Nigerian caught in body-in-bag case

delhi Updated: May 31, 2011 01:26 IST
HT Correspondent

Delhi Police have arrested the Nigerian who allegedly killed his girlfriend, stuffed her body in a bag and left it in their rented flat in west Delhi and fled to Mumbai.

The Nigerian, identified as Innocent Nwayo, was arrested following investigation in a case in which a woman’s body was found stuffed in a bag in a flat in Uttam Nagar.

According to police, the couple who was living together had a fight during a party on April 28 and the girl, later identified as Chong, alias Cecilia, a Burmese national, had died during a scuffle.

On April 28, four of his friends — two girls and two boys — came to his flat for a party. The victim suspected that Nwayo was interested in one of the girls and they had heated argument after his friends left.

Nwayo, after realizing that Chong was dead, went to INA market and bought a bag.

“He had planned to chop the body into pieces and stuff it in the bag but couldn’t do so and went to Mumbai after locking the room,” Ashok Chand, DCP (crime) said.

“The choice of the bag — which in this case was a large rucksack of sorts that usually foreigners carry — was a big clue. We were sure, to a certain degree, that a foreigner was behind the crime,” said a senior police officer.

The decomposed body of the girl was recovered on May 20 when Gurdev Singh, owner of the house, where the couple was living, complained that a foul smell was coming out of the locked flat.

He tried to contact Innocent on his cellphone but it was switched off. He informed the police and the flat was broken open. In the bedroom, the police found a black-coloured travel bag.

“A body wrapped in a blanket and tied with plastic rope was found inside the bag,” Chand added. The girl was working in a beauty parlour in Munirka and had met Innocent at a party in November 2010 and they had started living together from December.

Sources said Innocent Nwayo had fled Delhi and gone to Mumbai. But later he returned and was arrested from Kotla Mubarakpur on a tip-off on Sunday. He had gone there to meet a Nigerian friend.

“During interrogation, Nwayo revealed that before coming to India he had worked in the Nigerian police force. After working there for seven years he had resigned and started working as a commission agent in Nigeria and came to India in October 2010,” Chand further said.