The Mayawati government on Thursday told the Supreme Court it would not add new structures to the memorial sites of Dalit leaders or launch new projects, in the wake of outrage on expending public funds.
A day after the Supreme Court asked the Uttar Pradesh government to submit its proposal on how it would undertake maintenance work at the sites, the state administration said construction of the memorials was already complete.
The government said that since the public funds had been expended on construction, it was necessary that the contractors completed them by removing the shortcomings at the sites.
“It is also submitted that no new structure would be made or added in any of the properties, which are subject matter of the petitions pending before high court,” read the government’s application.
The state also sought permission to carry out repairs of all the properties including removal of unutilised construction material, equipment, sanitation and cleaning of the sites.
In a request before the bench headed by Justice HS Bedi, the government added it was important to de-seal the sites as the deep trenches there were to be filled up and work on landscaping the area undertaken.
On perusing the application, the bench reserved its order, which is likely to be pronounced next week.