No bluelines on roads from feb 1 | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

No bluelines on roads from feb 1

delhi Updated: Jan 31, 2011 01:03 IST

With the final deadline to completely phase out Blueline buses expiring tomorrow, the 'killer' fleet that had gained notoriety for involvement in frequent mishaps will be off the roads from February 1.

As part of efforts to streamline the public transport system in the city, the Delhi government had shunted out 823 Blueline buses on December 14 and removed 389 more on December 31 out of a total of 2,052 such vehicles.

Delhi transport minister Arvinder Singh Lovely had earlier said January 31 will be the "last day" for the remaining 840 Blueline buses in the city. He had said the state-run Delhi Transport Corporation will meet the transportation needs of the people.

Officials said the "complete phase-out" of the fleet is "on schedule" and notices have been issued to Blueline operators to surrender their permits by tomorrow.

The Delhi high court had on January 20 reserved its order on the city government's plea not to permit Blueline buses back on city roads. The bus operators had moved the court seeking to run their buses on the roads till the government implements the new cluster bus system.

The court has turned down their plea for extension of permits of one-third of the 2,000 Bluelines which lapsed. Justifying its decision to phase out Blueline buses, the government had told the court that the private buses are six times more accident-prone than DTC buses.