NEW DELHI: Anxious students and parents are turning up at Delhi University’s north campus to inquire about the undergraduate admission process as the varsity is yet to announce the admission schedule.
The online registration process for admissions usually starts in May last week but DU has not made anything official yet.
The admission committee has decided to start the admission process from May 28 but the vice-chancellor is yet to clear the criteria.
“There is no information on the admission schedule so I came here to check if the university has started open house sessions. Last year by this time my elder son was attending the open house to clear his doubts,” said Pratibha Gulati, who came to North Campus from Ghaziabad with her daughter.
Last year, the university had announced the admission schedule on May 16 and started the Open House session for students from May 21.
Divya, an aspirant said, “There is a lot of confusion regarding the admission. I am not happy that it is only online. A notification soon must be released and some provision should be made available for solving the queries by aspirants like having a helpline number.”
University officials said that there has been a delay in announcing the schedule because this year the entire process is going online. “We are trying to make the system better. We are working on some issues as this year the registration process will be only online and it will take some technical improvements,” said a senior official.
A 24-member admission committee, including academic, executive council members, has recommended that online registration start from May 28 and end on June 16. The recommendations have been sent to the vice-chancellor professor Yogesh Tyagi for final approval.
This year the university is likely to come out with only five cut-off lists unlike previous years when it used to release nine or 10 cut-off lists till seats in all colleges were not filled.
The move, aimed at reducing over admission, will also allow colleges to impose additional eligibility criteria after the fifth cut-off list. The university is also likely to reduce the concession, given to female students by some colleges, in the cut-offs to only 1% point for admission to undergraduate courses.
This year, applicants for sports and Extra Curriculum Activity (ECA) will also have to fill the centralised online form unlike earlier when they had to apply to individual colleges.
(With inputs from Sruthi VS)