‘No hospital had a bed for my son’: Dengue victim's father | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘No hospital had a bed for my son’: Dengue victim's father

delhi Updated: Sep 16, 2015 09:35 IST
Rhythma Kaul
Rhythma Kaul
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A packed emergency ward at Safdarjung Hospital on Monday. The city has reported 1,872 dengue cases so far. (Saumya Khandelwal/HT Photo)

From one hospital to another, the story of six-year-old Aman Sharma — who died of dengue on Sunday evening — is no different from Abhinash Rout (7). Abhinash had succumbed to the mosquito-borne viral infection for want of a bed a week ago.

“I had the most harrowing time of my life trying to get my son admitted to a hospital. Had he got proper care, he would probably have been alive,” said the distraught father Manoj Sharma.
Sharma works as a salesman and earns about Rs 10,000 a month. “I ended up spending Rs 1 lakh in two hospitals and yet he is no more,” he said.

Aman wasn’t feeling well for some days, so the father first took him to a local doctor who prescribed some medicines. The fever, however, didn’t come down so they took him to a local nursing home where he was tested for dengue on September 8.

The boy, a class 1 student of DAV Public school, Srinivaspuri, tested positive for dengue on September 9.

“When he tested positive, we took him to Safdarjung Hospital. The doctors there didn’t admit him but prescribed medicines for fever,” said Manoj. Aman’s fever, however, did not come down; rather his condition deteriorated and he started vomiting.

“We rushed him to Jeewan Hospital in the vicinity where he was treated for two days. The doctors asked us to take him to a bigger hospital as his condition was deteriorating and needed specialised care,” said the father.

Read | Dengue outbreak: Kejriwal conducts surprise checks at Delhi hospitals

“We took him to Moolchand Hospital that had no vacant bed. They gave him emergency care and made calls to Max and Batra hospitals that had no vacant beds. Finally, we brought him back to Safdarjung,” he said.

“We waited for a couple of hours but didn’t get a bed. They asked us to wait. In the meanwhile, I got a call from a neighbour saying they had managed a bed in Holy Family,” he said.

"Aman was in a critical state by the time he reached Holy Family Hospital on Sunday, September 13, morning. He was admitted in the ICU but was declared dead around 8pm,” said the father.

Safdarjung authorities claim they had provided emergency care to the child but the family took the child away despite the doctors having advised against it. “We call it LAMA- leave against medical advice,” said a hospital official.

Read | Delhi battles severe dengue outbreak, 'worst yet to come'