No justice for Nithari’s dead | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No justice for Nithari’s dead

delhi Updated: Dec 29, 2008 00:53 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Jhabbu Lal has shifted house but he still irons clothes outside the infamous D-5 bungalow in Noida’s posh Sector 30. It’s the same house where his 10-year-old daughter, Jyoti, was abducted and killed in September, 2006.

“I have stayed put because I want the real culprits to be hanged to death,” said Lal on Sunday — exactly two years after the gruesome Nithari killings came to light.

Skeletal remains of 17 children and women belonging to Nithari — a small village behind Sector 30 — were fished out from the drain behind the bungalow over many days, starting December 29, 2006.

Parents and relatives of the victims allege that the owner of the property, businessman Maninder Singh Pandher, and his domestic help, Surinder Koli, were the killers.

“We always knew there was something fishy going on in the bungalow. The police never listened to us. It was on December 29 two years ago that I, along with three others, started cleaning out the drain behind the bungalow. To our horror, we found skulls and bones in the drain. Slippers, clothes and bags of several children were found inside the bungalow,” said Lal.

Unlike the stolid Lal, Sunil Biswas finds it hard to hold back both his tears and anger when he is reminded of his daughter Pushpa, who went missing in April, 2006.

“From day one, CBI has been trying to shield Pandher. Just because he is a rich man, he cannot be let off. I refuse to buy the CBI line that Pandher knew nothing about the killing being done in his own house.” Biswas had moved to Nithari from West Bengal in search of a livelihood only three months before his daughter was killed.

Although the government has provided them financial compensation, these fathers are waiting for the day when the culprits are hanged to death.

“It is two years and still the case is stuck. I am eagerly waiting for the day when the accused are punished,” said Biswas.