Justice R Regupathi, the judge who raised a storm over the alleged attempts by former telecom minister A Raja to influence the Madras high court last year, said on Saturday that it is for the citizens of the country to make their own judgment in the matter.
The judge said he would not like to be drawn into the controversy on the contradictory statements by former Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan and justice Hemant Laxman Gokhale of the Supreme Court.
“Everything is in the public domain. It is for the citizens and the civil society to judge now what happened last year. I have done my duty and have retired from the job now,” justice Regupathi said.
He cautioned the media from attributing wrong statements to him.
“Please don’t use words like I am scared and I want security. This is a blatantly wrong statements and is like putting words in my mouth,” the judge said.
“This is my country and I have done nothing wrong. Why should I be scared? I am getting support from the people for whatever I did in my career as a judge,” justice Regupathi said.
Following the Madras high court verdict on December 7, in which it suspended the licence of a lawyer considered close to Raja for having tried to influence justice Regupathi last year, a war of words broke out earlier this week between the then CJI, Balakrishnan, and the then Madras high court Chief Justice, Gokhale.
Justice Balakrishnan has consistently maintained that he received no letter from justice Regupathi in which Raja was named in the matter of alleged attempt to influence Regupathi. While this has been strongly contradicted by justice Gokhale, who said the former CJI was clearly told about the name.
Both of them released letters written by them to the other, in support of their statements, but the confusion remains.