For the past one month Sachin Mathur had been looking forward to one date —February 1, when most schools in the Capital were supposed to declare the first list for nursery admissions this year.
But the first lists declared by schools on Tuesday brought no joy for Mathur, as his son failed to secure admission in any on the 10 schools he had applied to.
“I don’t know what to do. The first lists have names of those who fall in the alumni and sibling category only. Even the neighbourhood points were arbitrary, while one school allocated 20 points for 0-3 kms another had the same points
for 0-8kms. There is no uniformity in the guidelines of the schools and in the process we have to suffer,” said Mathur.
Schools across the city had stuck to the 100-point system whereby they allocated most points in categories such as neighbourhood, sibling and alumni apart from first born and girl child.
Parents who do not fit into any of these categories have been unable to make it to any of the schools.
“I had applied to 22 schools and have not made it to any of them. This is absurd. Just because I have not studied in any city school or do not have an elder child, my son has been denied admission,” said a harassed Rajat Mittal, a parent.
But principals said that there is still hope for those whose names may not have appeared in the first list.
“A lot of the applicants are common to the schools. They often pull withdraw admission and some seats fall vacant. So it is not as if all is lost at this moment,” said Jyoti Bose, principal, Springdales School, Dhaula Kuan.
For parents whose child’s name has appeared in the first list in schools, which may not be of their choice, should go ahead and take admission nonetheless.
“Parents should not wait for the second lists. If your child has made it to any school, it is wise to secure admission in that school first. One can always withdraw if they get admission if the school of their choice,” said Madhulika Sen, principal, Tagore International School, Vasant Vihar.