Once again, CBI calls suspect, but does not question | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 16, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Once again, CBI calls suspect, but does not question

delhi Updated: Nov 13, 2009 23:30 IST
Abhishek Sharan
Abhishek Sharan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

For the second time, Raj Kumar, a main suspect in the Aarushi Talwar and Hemraj Banjade murder case, is set to return to home in Nepal without being questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Talwar and Banjade were killed on May 16 last year at the Talwar residence in Noida Sector 25. Banjade worked as a domestic help with the Talwar family.

Raj Kumar, who worked as a domestic help with the friends of Talwar family — the Duranis, moved to Nepal after being granted bail in the case. He, along with medical assistant Krishna Thadarai and domestic help Vijay Mandal, is a main accused in the case.

CBI recently asked him to return to Noida for interrogation by a reconstituted probe team.

CBI, which took over the case from Uttar Pradesh Police after several goof ups in handling of the case, reconstituted its probe team after no headway was made in the case.

Raj Kumar’s lawyer Naresh Yadav said Raj Kumar was set to return to Kapilvastu, his hometown in Nepal.

“He arrived in Noida some days ago to face the CBI probe team, but nobody contacted him. He is tired of waiting and has to attend his school in Kapilvastu,” he said. “He will meet me on Saturday and then return to Nepal the same day.”

CBI spokesperson Harsh Bhal refused to comment on the matter.

Earlier in January this year, the CBI called him from Nepal but did not interrogate him.

Yadav said Raj Kumar was in “hiding” in Noida as “there was threat to his life in India”.

“He has been staying with relatives and acquaintances,” he said. “CBI called him through indirect channels but did not guarantee his safety here.”

According to CBI sources, the police in Kapilvastu keep a tab on Raj Kumar. It was a local Nepalese police officer who communicated to him the CBI directive to return to Noida, a source in the probe agency said.