Most of the families of Mumbai terror attacks last year are yet to receive the compensation from the Union Home Ministry as it has cleared only half of the 107 cases it handled.
Sources said nearly 50 cases had been cleared by the Home Ministry so far as many of the 107 cases were either ineligible or papers were incomplete. "The 50 odd cases that we have cleared in last year include both death and injured," a Home Ministry official said.
The Ministry gives Rs three lakh and Rs 50,000 as compensation to families of the deceased and injured respectively. According to the official figures, 164 people were killed and 233 injured in the November 26 terror strike.
The compensation issue also echoed in Parliament on Thursday when Leader of Opposition LK Advani and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee sparred in Lok Sabha over relief to the affected persons.
Advani voiced concern over "slow pace" of relief to the victims evoking an angry response from Mukherjee who accused the BJP of exploiting the 26/11 incident for political gains.
"We have written to Maharashtra government seeking the necessary documents which would help us in clearing the eligible cases," the official said.