Out on a joyride, the gang robbed a man before brutalising the woman | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Out on a joyride, the gang robbed a man before brutalising the woman

delhi Updated: Dec 19, 2012 00:49 IST

After spending a dull day at his house in the Ravi Das Camp slum cluster in south Delhi’s RK Puram, Ram Singh decided to have some 'fun' in the evening.

Singh, 33, a bus driver and the prime accused in Sunday night's gangrape, left his house at 7.45 pm and called his brother, Mukesh, 32.

Mukesh is also a bus driver. They called four friends — Vinay Sharma, 20, a gym instructor at the Siri Fort Auditorium, Pawan Gupta alias Kalu, 18, a fruit-seller, Akhsay Thakur, 26, and Raju, 25, both bus helpers – and asked them to assemble at Singh's house.

Between 8pm and 8.30 pm, they consumed liquor at Singh's house and then left for a joyride in the bus. Mukesh was on the wheels.

None of them had money to pay for drinks. And to fund the party, they abducted a vegetable vendor, identified as Ramadhaar, in their bus and robbed him of R8,000 and his mobile phone before dropping him near IIT flyover.

"At 9 pm, after dumping Ramadhaar, the gang moved on to Munirka. At 9.10 pm, they halted the bus at DDA Flats Munirka bus stop. Singh started calling out for passengers heading towards

Palam and Dwarka. Not realising that it was not a regular bus on the route, the 23-year-old physiotherapist and his friend boarded it," said a senior investigating officer.

Minutes after boarding the bus, Singh charged R10 each from the couple as travel fare. As the bus crossed Vasant Gaon and turned towards Mahipalpur, three men seated in the driver's cabin started misbehaving with the girl.

"The woman's male friend objected and he was attacked with an iron rod. The woman tried to fight with the assailants and was beaten up too. Later, she was dragged to the rear seat where four of the six assailants took turns to rape her. They robbed the couple of their belongings and tore their clothes," said Delhi Police

commissioner Neeraj Kumar at a press conference on Tuesday.

"They eventually threw out the victims in a semi-conscious state on the roadside near NH-8, Mahipalpur," added Kumar.

After dumping the victims, Raju, Mukesh and Akshay tried to clean the blood marks in the bus.

Later, Singh and Thakur took the bus to Noida Sector 62 in the early hours where they washed it in a garage.

Singh later took the bus to Sector 3 in RK Puram on Monday afternoon and parked it in a lane near Ravidas Camp slum cluster.

Mukesh left for his native village in Rajasthan.