It was a dog on Thursday. It could be your child tomorrow.
High-tension wires left in the open by a civic body engaged in a beautification drive at a Delhi University sideway claimed the life of Udgosh Thakran's German Shepherd on August 5.
When the 22-year-old student of Indraprastha University approached the authorities to warn them of an impending disaster, the police allegedly ignored the caution, saying "only a dog" had died.
Warning signs are yet to be put up on the spot that lies near the Vice-Chancellor's residence.
"We are not aware of any such incident," Deep Mathur, MCD's press and information director, said.
Thakran was taking a morning walk with Tyson, his pet, when the incident took place.
"I was caught unawares by the wire and even I got two shocks. My dog was just trying to save me when it was electrocuted," Thakran said.
"Instead of taking action against the contractor, they (the police) asked me silly questions," he added.