Pak says no to acquiring voice samples of lashkar men | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 05, 2016-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pak says no to acquiring voice samples of lashkar men

delhi Updated: Sep 27, 2009 23:59 IST
Abhishek Sharan
Abhishek Sharan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Pakistan has refused to acquire the voice samples that could conclusively prove the role of Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) men, who orchestrated the 26/11 terror attacks from Pakistan over phone.

“Citing legal hitch, Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has refused to take the voice samples of the top Lashkar operatives in its custody. India handed over to it the records of conversations between these men and the terrorists in Mumbai,” said an official, requesting anonymity.

Three of the six 26/11 planners in the FIA’s custody — Abu Al Qama, Zarar Shah and Kaahfa — provided instructions over phone to the terrorists throughout the 59-hour attack in Mumbai last year.

India’s central intelligence agencies and Maharashtra’s Anti-Terrorism Squad had intercepted the telephonic conversations and handed them to the FIA for follow up action.

“Pakistanis have told us their laws doesn’t allow forcing an accused to give evidence against himself,” the official said.

A Pakistan 26/11 trial court had directed the accused to provide their voice samples, but the latter had refused, he said.

Mumbai Crime Branch’s JCP Rakesh Maria said Pakistan’s refusal was understandable, as it would definitely “weaken the case against the accused in their court”.

The terrorists, according to the Indian dossier, made 41 calls from Taj Mahal hotel, 62 from the Oberoi/Trident and 181 calls from Nariman house to their Pakistani handlers.

HT contacted Pakistan’s Interior Minister A. Rehman Malik but didn’t get a response.