Patient’s family lodges case against hospital | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Patient’s family lodges case against hospital

delhi Updated: Dec 15, 2009 00:27 IST
Jaya Shroff Bhalla

Family members of a critically ill patient protested, alleging negligence at the emergency wing of west Delhi's Balaji Action Hospital after their relative slipped into a coma.

Alleging poor and careless management of the hospital staff leading to the critical condition of Kanta Chaddha, 74, the family called in the police to look into the matter on Monday evening.

They filed a formal complaint against the hospital and the treating doctor in the Paschim Vihar police station.

Punjabi Bagh resident, Chaddha, who was admitted to the hospital on December 10, with complains of loose motion and weakness, has been fighting for life. Admitted in the intensive care unit, Chaddha is very critical.

According to family Chaddha's condition deteriorated early on Monday.

“She was complaining of extreme discomfort and stomach pain. When we called the nurse, she was helpless. We asked her to contact the consulting doctor but to no avail,” said Suman Chaddha, 64, Kanta’s sister.

“From then to 8. 30 am, her condition only went from bad to worse, when finally another doctor attended to the patient who said she was fine.”

Soon after the doctor left, Chaddha began sinking, and the family tried calling the consulting doctor.

“After several requests, only a junior resident (JR) doctor came who pointed out that the oxygen mask was put on the patient, but it wasn't connected to the supply,” said Ajay Bhasin, her relative.

“All our polite requests to call the treating doctor to see our patient went futile as only the JR was attending the patient. Finally we had to physically enter the private OPD room of Dr Animesh Arya to get him to see our patient but by then her condition became very critical,” said Bhasin.

In the police complaint the family has written, “No emergency action was taken for a considerable time, senior consultant was in the hospital but did not visit the patient.”

The family is alleging that Dr Arya was present at the hospital between 8. 30 am - 11. 30 am but did not come until forced.

The hospital refuted all charges of negligence.

“We work as a unit here (hospital) and there is good back-up support of doctors. The resident attended to the patient and gave necessary resuscitation,” said Dr Arya.

“It is not possible for a single doctor to be on duty round the clock. In his (Dr Arya's) absence there was another doctor,” said Dr A.P. Choudhari, medical director. However, the hospital has also set up an internal inquiry into the matter.

Police have not taken any action yet. “Generally, these things take time as we seek opinion of a medical board before initiating any action,” said Sharad Aggarwal, DCP (West).