Please ensure justice for my daughter: mother of Delhi gangrape victim | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Please ensure justice for my daughter: mother of Delhi gangrape victim

delhi Updated: May 18, 2013 01:01 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

“Judge saheb, meri beti ko insaaf dilaiye (please ensure justice for my daughter),” the mother of the December 16 gang-rape victim, with her hands folded, requested the special court hearing the horrific rape case on Friday.

Deposing before the court of additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna, the woman made fervent pleas for justice for her 23-year-old daughter, who was brutalised by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16. She died of her injuries 13 days later in a Singapore hospital.

The victim’s mother told the court that on December 16 the trainee physiotherapist left the house at 4pm, saying she had to do some shopping and would go for a movie as well.

When her daughter didn’t return till 9pm, she called her on the mobile phone but it was switched off. At around 11-11.15pm, a call came from the police control room. “I was told that some incident had happened with my daughter and was asked to rush to Safdarjung Hospital.”

Along with her husband, she rushed to the hospital and found their daughter in emergency. "I could not talk to her as she was being taken for surgery. We stayed at the hospital during her treatment," she said.

Her husband, two sons and she were with the 23-year-old when she was flown to Singapore for better treatment on December 26. Her daughter wasn't able to speak to her that night. The last she spoke to her was on Christmas night, the woman told the court. Her daughter died on December 29 and they flew back with her body the next day, she told the court.

The lawyer for one of the accused, Mukesh Singh, did not cross-examine the mother, saying she was already in deep pain.

When the counsel for the other three accused -- Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Pawan Gupta -- started the cross-examination, the judge requested them to be "polite" and only ask relevant questions.

Four of the accused are being tried by the special court. Main accused Ram Singh was found dead in Tihar jail on March 11. The sixth accused is facing proceedings before a juvenile justice board.