Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday admitted that the government was aware of the country's vulnerability to terror attacks from sea route and that the preventive steps taken were inadequate.
"We were all aware of our vulnerability to such attacks from this quarter (sea route) and had already taken a number of steps, but obviously these were inadequate," he said replying to the Motions of Thanks moved in both Houses of Parliament.
The Prime Minister said since the 26/11 attacks on Mumbai, the government had taken several steps to further tighten vigil against future terrorist attacks from sea.
Singh said the government has launched a massive effort to streamline maritime security which included the setting up of a Maritime Command under the Coast Guard with overall responsibility vested with the Navy.
The number of Marine Police Stations have been increased to supplement the efforts of the Coast Guard and the Navy, he said adding that steps have also been taken to improve intelligence sharing.
The Prime Minister said Net-Centric Information Command structure is being put in place to achieve online transfer of all actionable intelligence in a streamlined manner.