'PM motorcade jam killed dad' | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

'PM motorcade jam killed dad'

delhi Updated: Dec 21, 2010 00:51 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 45-year-old man who suffered cardiac arrest died as he couldn't be taken to hospital in time because his ambulance was stuck in traffic blocked for the Prime Minister's motorcade near Rajghat in central Delhi on Sunday evening, his family said.

The victim Anil Jain, a bathroom fittings manufacturer, had a heart attack on Sunday evening. His family rushed him to Surya Nursing Home near Shahdara where the doctors advised him to go to the government run GTB hospital.

"When we reached the GTB Hospital we were informed that they did not have a pacemaker and were asked to go to GB Pant Hospital near Delhi Gate. We took an ambulance from GTB Hospital but got stuck in traffic near Rajghat," said Deepak Jain, victim's son.

"We even called the PCR but the route was cleared only after 25-30 minutes. There were 100 cars each in front and behind us," Jain added.

"The doctors in the emergency wing at GB Pant said that had he been brought five minutes earlier, he could have been saved," said the son.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was returning from the plenary session of the Congress from Burari in north Delhi when the incident took place.

Police said the family did not contact any policeman on the route. They called up the PCR only at 7.50pm while the Prime Minister's route was cleared at 7.43pm.

"The ambulance was on the Geeta Colony flyover loop and the PM's motorcade was on the main road, the traffic was stopped. But when the call came to us the traffic was already moving," said Vivek Kishore, DCP (central).

To avoid similar traffic snarls, both Prime Minister Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi travelled to and from the Burari venue by helicopter on Monday, the second day of the session.

"They would have done so on Sunday too, but the sky was too overcast to allow choppers to take off," a police source said.