Police chase red herrings in Delhi car bomb case | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police chase red herrings in Delhi car bomb case

delhi Updated: Feb 16, 2012 10:32 IST
HT Correspondent
Police chase red herrings in Israeli embassy car bomb case


Two days after a motorcyclist attacked an Israeli embassy staffer’s car with a sticky bomb, the Delhi Police have no leads on his identity. The probe hit a roadblock after the police gave a clean chit to a motorcyclist who was captured tailing the targeted Toyota Innova by a CCTV camera.

The biker, who turned out to be a courier delivery man, himself approached investigators to claim his innocence. He was let off after questioning. A CCTV camera at a senior judge’s house on Aurangzeb Road caught hazy footage of the biker with a backpack tailing the Innova.

Two abandoned red motorcycles found in south Delhi’s Lado Sarai area and Connaught Place had the police rushing about. While the unattended motorcycle in CP was found to be stolen, investigators said the one in Lado Sarai might have been used by the attacker as its owner is unknown.

Teams of the Delhi Police special cell are conducting search operations at hotels and guest houses in central and south Delhi to check if any tourist from a West Asian country checked in during the past month. Investigators have also started collecting details of Iranians living in the Capital.

With no clues in the case, investigators from the special cell, in coordination with sleuths from Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, recreated the scene at the same spot on Wednesday.

Later, a 10-member Mossad team visited the special cell’s Lodhi Colony office and sought a progress report. They shared preliminary investigation details from a similar attack on Tuesday in Bangkok. The team also inspected the Innova that was damaged in the explosion.

A senior police officer said a preliminary forensic examination of the blast material showed traces of potassium chlorate and nitroglycerine. The explosives were estimated to weigh less than 300 grams.