Police get custody of blast suspect | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Police get custody of blast suspect

delhi Updated: Jan 03, 2009 23:31 IST
Highlight Story

By Sunday the Special Cell of Delhi Police will bring Mohammed Hakim to the city from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. A suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist, Hakim is allegedly wanted in the September 13 serial blasts in Delhi.

According to police, Hakim had been hiding in Lucknow for the past few months. He allegedly bank rolled the Delhi serial blasts through his Hawala racket.

“He provided Atif Ameen, the mastermind of the blast, with Rs 1.5 lakh. During his interrogation by the UP Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS), he accepted that he was a member of the Indian Mujahideen. He played an important role in planning of the Delhi serial blasts as well as providing logistic support to the militants. He was also in constant touch with Ameen,” said a senior police officer.

Hakim was arrested by the UP ATS from Paharpur crossing on Kursi Road located under Gudamba police station in the state. The police recovered a motorcycle, a driving licence and an identity card from him at the time of arrest.

Joint Commissioner of Police, Special Cell, P.N. Aggarwal said, “We have sent a team to Lucknow to bring him back. He will be brought to the city by Sunday evening.”

Delhi Police sources also said that like Amir Talha (22), Hakim would also be able to provide details about planning of the serial blasts as well as other IM operatives who might be operating in the city.