Police not taking job seriously: HC | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police not taking job seriously: HC

delhi Updated: Nov 19, 2009 23:32 IST
Harish V. Nair

Accusing the Delhi Police of “not taking its job seriously”, the Delhi High Court on Thursday warned that the people would lose their faith in police if the latter acts on complaints only when hauled up by courts.

A series of stinging remarks from Justice Kailash Gambhir severely denting the police’s motto of ‘With You, For You Always’ came in a case wherein the police had failed to arrest a rape accused.

Even after one-and-half years of the incident, the police hadn’t arrested Arif (only one name given), a Congress party worker. This was despite the statement of the victim, her sister-in-law and the medical report establishing a prima-facie case.

“What more was required at that stage for arrest? If such an approach is adopted by the police in a serious case like rape, then this court is constrained to observe that the Delhi police is not taking its job seriously,” said the judge.

Arif was arrested only on November 11, 2009, two days after the court rejected his anticipatory bail and sought an explanation from the police.

The court directed the Commissioner of Police to conduct an enquiry against all the errant police officials of the Seelampur Police Station.

As per the complaint, Sonam (name changed) was standing with her sister-in-law on a road near her home in East Delhi on April 16, 2008, when she was dragged into a van by the accused.

“The fact that the accused was roaming freely for one and a half years till his anticipatory bail plea was rejected by the court makes it obvious he was enjoying the patronage of some highly connected and influential persons,” the judge said.

Alibi fails

The court was angry as the police readily believed the version of the accused that he was in a meeting with Delhi Education Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely when the incident took place. Lovely, in his statement to the police, admitted that Arif, a party worker, visited his office and remained there till 8:30 p.m. But as per the victim's complaint, the incident took place at 9 p.m.