A day after seven people were killed after an illegally built multi-storey building came crashing down in Seelampur area of North-East Delhi, the police raided the office of owner Deepak Garg. The police also seized incriminating documents from his office located a kilometer away from the building. Meanwhile, rescue operations continued on Sunday, as the police feared that more people might have been buried in the debris.
“We are not taking any chances and the rescue operations are in full swing. We fear that more people are buried there, though we have not found any body on Sunday,” said Rajeev Ranjan, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (North East).
The police said they were scanning the documents seized from Garg's office in Chauhan Bangar area to know whether local councillor Sanjay Jain was involved in the illegal construction. Police said they also raided several hideouts of the accused.
“The illegal construction would not have been possible without the nexus of the local councillor,” said the officer. Till late on Sunday no arrests had been made in the case.
On Sunday, 11 of the 14 people injured in the mishap were discharged from Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital. Three others were still recuperating.
The police were also contemplating to convert section 304 A (causing death due to negligence) into section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) as the building owner and the contractor were aware of adding additional floors illegally and the danger it could have posed to the residents.