Delhi Police recorded a second statement of the gangrape victim on Tuesday in the presence of a judicial magistrate as her first statement recorded by an SDM at Safdarjung hospital turned controversial.
Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit wrote a letter to home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Monday about police interference during the recording of the first statement.
Police chief Neeraj Kumar said, "Today's statement… has evidential value and is final." Senior police officers claimed that the earlier statement was taken when they thought 'she may not pull through' and, in that case, it could be used as her dying declaration.
The victim narrated the sequence of events in front of the magistrate and said almost the same story as she and her friend had narrated in the first statement to the SDM.
Meanwhile, what started as a struggle to ensure the safety of women in the Capital turned into a row between the Delhi government and Delhi Police.
Reacting to sub divisional magistrate (SDM) Usha Chaturvedi's complaint, police chief Neeraj Kumar said there had been similar issues with Chaturvedi during the riots in Khoda in October and in Vivek Vihar in November.
Delhi divisional commissioner and revenue secretary Dharam Pal said it was unfortunate that the police had taken the matter to the media, when there was a panel to look into the matter.
Chaturvedi had alleged that she was forced to take the statement on the basis of a questionnaire prepared by Delhi Police.
Kumar, however, rubbished this claim.
"If she had some problem, she should have left without taking the statement."