The Delhi government has filed a special leave petition (SLP) against the Delhi High Court order staying the displacement of tehbazari holders from Prabhu Market area near Lodi colony.
However, there has been no stay order against the High Court decision, it was revealed by a Delhi government officer during a hearing at the Central Information Commission (CIC).
The high court had earlier stayed the displacement of tehbazari holders from the Prabhu market and directed the land owning agency, the MCD not to obstruct vendors from conducting their business from the allotted tehbazari sites.
The MCD had forcibly evicted about 90 vendors, most of them fruit sellers, with valid tehbazari licences and demolished the stalls from the Sewa Nagar crossing market a month ago.
Jawahar Singh, president of the Jhuggi Jhompri Ekta Manch, had sought information under the Right to Information (RTI) regarding rehabilitation of Prabhu Market evictees and similar other cases, all of which were evicted from respective areas ahead of the Commonwealth Games.
During the hearing on Wednesday, MK Agarwal, deputy secretary in Delhi government’s urban development department, said that the government’s policy stated that no flats (rehabilitation) should be allotted to families who had jhuggis in the ‘right of way’.
Agarwal also explained that the government has filed an SLP in Supreme Court but admitted that no stay order has been obtained. He also informed that a case has been filed against the Delhi government for contempt of the Delhi High Court.
“The implication is that since Delhi government feels that it wants to challenge an order of Delhi High Court, it will not follow the order though no legally valid stay has been obtained,” said information commissioner Shailesh Gandhi.