Property tax notices flawed, say residents | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Property tax notices flawed, say residents

delhi Updated: Aug 06, 2013 01:38 IST
Ritam Halder
Ritam Halder
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

If you have received a letter from the corporation alleging years of non-payment of correct property tax despite filing your returns diligently every year, you are not alone.

Thousands of people have received similar notices and a seven-day deadline to prove their tax status or pay up huge fines in addition to years of “pending” tax.

RK Sareen, a resident of Nehru Apartments in Kalkaji, says this tantamounts to harassment.

“Residents and property owners have receipts for payment issued by the corporation. Then why are they issuing such notices and creating havoc? They have not seen their own computer records. We have made payments online and there are payment records of banks too. They should themselves come door to door and check records instead of harassing taxpayers,” Sareen, who along with other residents of his Kalkaji society received a seven-day diktat, said.

A source in the south civic body cited the example of a Union secretary who received a similar letter.

“He was called up regarding property tax. He is a regular tax payer and had all returns with him. However, there was no record with the corporation and his records showed his tax records of only 2003-2004,” the source said.

According to tax experts, the corporations are supposed to keep data of the returns filed. “Tax returns are filed to inspectors and a record is maintained. However, the corporations haven’t kept any record. It is wrong and they must give an explanation,” Brig. HK Dhawan, a property tax expert, told Hindustan Times. He said it has become a standard procedure to issue this notice.

When contacted, North commissioner PK Gupta said this is not a trend. “The property tax collection mechanism is fully computerised and online, without any glitch. Some old cases involving arrears are facing problems. If they come and give us evidence, we will rectify it,” Gupta said.