Protesters clash with police near PM's residence | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Protesters clash with police near PM's residence

delhi Updated: May 06, 2013 01:35 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Protesters of different hues took to the streets in the Capital on Sunday afternoon with as many as 60 people being detained by the police in central Delhi, including from near the residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Hundreds of irate Sikh protesters clashed with the police as they attempted to march to the PM's residence to register their protest against the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.

"We tried to restrain them near the Parliament Street police station but they managed to reach the PM's residence around 1.30 pm," said an officer.

The police said they had to erect several layers of barricading to restrain the sloganeering crowd which, shouting anti-government slogans started its march towards 7, Race Course Road, unabated.

A quarter of them clashed with police personnel and attempted to dismantle or scale barricades erected immediately outside the PM's residence.

"We had no other alternative than detaining them and removing them from the spot. Around 50 protesters had to be detained but were later let off," said Deepak Mishra, special commissioner of police (law and order).

Meanwhile, around 10 activists of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), were detained from outside the house of Union railway minister Pawan Bansal.

The students, the police said, had gone to the minister's residence to protest against his alleged involvement in a corruption case. Bansal's nephew had been arrested for accepting bribe from a senior railway officer by the Central Bureau of Investigation over the weekend.

The protesters, carrying placards gathered outside Bansal's 8, Ashoka Road residence around 6 pm.

Police personnel deployed outside prevented them from entering the vicinity. About 10 student protesters, who were demanding Bansal's resignation, were physically removed by the police personnel. They were detained at the Parliament Street police station and later let off.