PWD loses face by celebrating too early | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

PWD loses face by celebrating too early

delhi Updated: Sep 22, 2010 02:37 IST
Highlight Story

Giving final touches to the pedestrian bridge, the Public Works Department (PWD) engineers were happy that Barapullah elevated road project was finally complete and ready to be handed over to the security agencies.

The bridge, however, broke into three pieces and collapsed on the ground when the labourers were putting concrete on the deck or the walkway of the bridge.

According to the Delhi Government officials, the main arch frame, which looks like a rainbow, of the bridge had already been erected and the deck, which was hanging from the arch with the help of suspenders, was being fabricated.

“During construction, the deck at one end gave way and the entire deck got detached from the suspenders in progression and came on the ground. It seems the pin, which connected a suspender with the bridge loosened and snapped,” PWD Engineer In-Chief Rakesh Mishra said.
More than 30 workers working on the bridge and near the bridge got injuries in the accident.

“The problem is that we don’t have skilled labourers to execute such sophisticated projects. Every labourer should be given proper training to use equipment and work on each individual project,” said Pradeep Chaturvedi, a safety expert and former chairman, Safety and Quality Forum.

Delhi Police crime branch also rushed to the spot. “The crime branch was also involved in the investigations of Zamrudpur accident where a metro pillar had collapsed ,” said a senior Delhi Police officer. The Delhi Public Works Department Minister Rajkumar Chauhan and several Delhi Government officials also rushed to the spot.
“We are looking into the reasons and action will be taken against the agency that is responsible,” Chauhan said.

A team of experts has been formed to look into the cause of failure and suggest remedial measures and will submit its report in a fortnight.

“Notice to black-list the contractor has also been served. All the injured in this incident will be provided best possible treatment at government’s cost,” said a senior delhi government official.

Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit visited the hospitals to enquire about the condition of injured.