A Delhi government-appointed committee, which probed the collapse of a foot overbridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium days before the CWG, has blamed the faulty construction methodology adopted by the private contractor and held PWD responsible for supervisory failure.
The two-member probe panel submitted its report on Wednesday into the collapse of the 95-metre-long under-construction bridge, which was intended to be a showpiece, causing major embarrassment to the organisers.
The panel has blamed PWD for "supervisory failures" while it held P and R Infraprojects Ltd for carrying out the project in a great hurry, top sources in Delhi Government told PTI.
The Committee, headed by former CPWD director general H S Dogra said methodology of construction was not given by the PWD-appointed design consultant M/s Tandon Consultants and the contractor devised the procedure on its own without taking any necessary approval.
"Appropriate action will follow based on the findings of the report. We are studying the report," Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta said when asked to comment on the findings.
The over Rs five crore project was contracted to private firm P and R Infraprojects Ltd by PWD. The company has already been blacklisted by the city government.
The probe panel said the collapse took place "because of failure of the joint of Macalloy suspender bars which had been prescribed as part of the design for suspension of the deck of the FOB with the main arch."
"As per the report, the cause of the collapse could be asymmetrical loading more than permissible level which resulted into overstressing of Macalloy joint connecting the deck slab with the Macalloy suspenders that were imported from UK," the PWD said in a statement.
A top official of the PWD said there may be some deficiency in the design although the department in its statement said that the panel found the design "in order".
The report said detailed design of the suspender with the deck of the FOB "in terms of asymmetric loading and rotation of the gusset plate was not done".
It said UK firm M/s Macalloy which built the still frame had said after the incident that they felt "the orientation of the gusset plate are in the wrong plane."
However, no such observations were made by them when the drawings were forwarded to them in April, 2010 by the contractor for fabrication of the system.