Criticizing Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi over his comments on the Mumbai serial blasts, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday said his statement abets militants in these blatant acts of violence.
"The statement made by Mr. Rahul Gandhi is most unfortunate. Such uncompassionate statements trying to condone terror is unacceptable and the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) would like to state categorically that such statements would embolden all people indulging in terror, people who have plans against the country," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told mediapersons in New Delhi.
"I think this is a statement which will demoralise the people and we cannot accept anything, instead we have expected the government would say that yes, it's a lapse and having said that the government should have exhibited a firm commitment to fight terror which is completely absent and its most unfortunate to face and hear statements, from the leaders of Congress party, like this," he added.
Rahul Gandhi earlier on Thursday said that it was virtually impossible to stop all terrorist attacks, though every attempt was being made by the government and security agencies to do so.
"We will stop 99 % of the (militant) attacks. But one percent of attacks might get through and that is what I am saying," he told mediapersons in Bhubaneswar.
Rudy further criticized union home minister P. Chidambaram for not attributing any responsibility to the intelligence agencies for the terror attacks.
"When any incident which occurs, when we have a large network of intelligence agencies and intelligence networks, it is a failure. So out rightly denying that it was not an intelligence failure, I think, is an act in which the Home Minister is trying to condone this terror attack," said Rudy.
"It is very unfortunate and I think the Congress, in absence of giving a firm statement against terror, is trying to dilute the whole issue," he added.
Meanwhile, Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi expressed grief on the death of 18 people in the Mumbai blasts.
"I express my condolences with all the victims and pray to God that he would give us power to save the innocent citizens from these kinds of frequent terror attacks," Modi said during an event in New Delhi.
At least 18 people were killed over 130 others were injured in the three blasts that took place in Mumbai on Wednesday evening.
The three serial blasts rocked Zaveri Bazaar, a popular jewellery market, the busy business area around Opera House and the crowded Dader area of Central Mumbai between 6.45 pm and 7.04 pm.