Former telecom minister A Raja ignored the advice of the Prime Minister that the availablity of 2G spectrum be assessed before the grant of licences, CBI said on Saturday in its first chargesheet filed before a special court in New Delhi.
"The suggestion from the high office of the Prime Minister that availability of spectrum had to be assessed before committing to issue licenses and that a license without requisite spectrum meant nothing to a telecom operator were, however, brushed aside by Raja," the agency said.
After being caught on the wrong foot, Raja immediately called his personal secretary R K Chandolia at his residence at night and drafted a response to the letter of the Prime Minister, it said.
"Raja, in pursuance of the conspiracy and for ensuring better prospects for his favoured companies, cut it short and decided the cut-off dates to be October 1, 2007. A press release was issued to this effect on September 24, 2007, which appeared in the newspapers on September 25.
"The investigation has revealed that even though this cut-off date of October 1 had been announced, accused Raja, in conspiracy with other accused, had already taken a view to keep the cut-off date as September 25," the chargesheet said.
It was alleged that Raja also ignored the advice of the Law Ministry that the matter be referred to the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM).