Restaurant catches fire in Chanakyapuri, two dead | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 25, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Restaurant catches fire in Chanakyapuri, two dead

delhi Updated: Apr 05, 2013 00:00 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two men were suffocated to death after fire broke out at a restaurant in Chanakyapuri late on Wednesday night.

The fire was reported from ‘Lazeez’ restaurant on 6 Malcha Marg around 3:40 am. The victims, restaurant employees identified as Rakesh Singh, 20 and Ravindra, 35, are suspected to have suffocated to death, said a senior Delhi Fire Services (DFS) official.

“The victims were among half a dozen restaurant employees who were sleeping within its premises after work when the fire broke out,” said a senior police officer.

According to police, while four of the employees were able to escape, Rakesh and Ravindra could not manage to make their way out of the inferno and were stuck. Their co-workers informed the fire control room and three fire tenders rushed to the spot.

Fire service personnel broke down the doors of the burning restaurant and were able to gain access after a fire-fighting operation that lasted over two hours and found two bodies.

“They were rushed to the RML hospital where doctors declared them dead. Initial medical examination revealed there were absolutely no external injuries on the bodies of the victims,” said an officer.

“Doctors told us Rakesh and Ravindra died due to asphyxiation. Their families, through their employer, have been informed about the incident and their post mortem examination will be conducted soon,” the officer added.

DFS officials said the blaze was probably triggered by an electrical short circuit and inflammable material in addition to gas cylinders stored inside the restaurant.

“We are still investigating the trigger of the blaze though we suspect a short-circuit was probably behind it,” the DFS official added.