Residents Welfare Associations (RWAs) of colonies abutting the Metro’s under-construction elevated line between Defence Colony and Nehru Place—the site of Sunday's accident—have decided to move the Delhi High Court against the DMRC.
They seek to draw the attention to “DMRC's failure” to comply with the assurance given to the court that all apprehensions of the residents, including those regarding safety, would be taken care of while building the elevated line.
RWAs in Jangpura, Kailash Colony, Defence Colony, Lajpat Nagar and Greater Kailash had moved a PIL last year seeking a direction to the metro to take the underground route saying the elevated stretch would wreak havoc in the congested area “putting at stake the safety of the public at large.” Besides, they said, it would intrude their privacy and also threaten the green cover.
Disposing of their petition on May 30 last year, a two-judge bench gave the green signal for the elevated stretch but asked DMRC to address grievances.
“Our worst fears have come true,” said Rattan Singh, the lawyer representing the RWAs in the High Court. Rajiv Kakria, chairman of GK-I RWA said, “The Centre had given the DMRC a deadline by 2010. Now it’s learnt there will be a delay of three months. They can’t run trains during the Games. So why not take a relook?”